Bezawit Mengstu Wins IPAD in

Back to Article
Back to Article

Bezawit Mengstu Wins IPAD in

The library had a reading challenge starting Dec 1, 2018 and running until March 25, 2019. Students were challenged to read ebooks or listen to audiobooks from our school’s Axis360 app. For every 3 books a student read, their name was put in the drawing once. At Central, we had 55 students participate overall but with 175 names in the bucket when I drew on the 25th.

Bezawit Mengstu is a 6th grade student who is a lover of all books. Her enthusiasm and passion for reading shows. When I pulled her name from the bucket, I excited to have her name announced at the end of the day. Bezawit came to get her iPad and just could not believe this was actually hers to keep and was so overjoyed she was in tears. It was a pleasure getting to see students like Bezawit reading not only hardcover books but going home to read online as well. She read most of her books over Spring Break!

Ms. Kuch says, “Axis 360 is a website that the school district pays for that students and teachers alike can listen to E-books and audio books and these books are maintained by me, the librarian. Not many students use it though, so that’s why we had the contest. Because we don’t have many students reading these books, even though we pay for a lot of these books. I decided to have this contest because it was sponsored by the public library, the public library actually sponsors a lot of school library events so the KCK public library bought 40 iPads in hopes to give one iPad to every school. I’ve read not many from this school because there’s only one copy of each book, so I haven’t checked out many books because I want the kids to get them. I really enjoy listening to audio books when I’m driving to work or at home while I’m doing laundry or dishes.”