Filed under Showcase, Student Life

Nevaeh Felix Spells Her Way to First Place at Spelling Bee, Cesar Hernandez Second Place

Bezawit Mengstu said “It feels good to be third, really good.  I didn’t win anything, but I got to be a part of this.” What was the hardest word for you? “The word that I lost with was ‘thesaurus.'” How long did you study for the spelling bee? “Honestly, I didn’t study. I only studied for like a day and a half-very little! It is scary.  You just don’t know if you’re going to spell a word wrong or not.”

Nevaeh Felix, spelling bee winner, said, “It feels really amazing and I really didn’t work hard for this. If I had, it would have felt really great. I competed with nine people. I feel like ‘colon’ was the hardest word because not a lot of people know how to spell that word. I really didn’t study very much. I actually studied the day before. I didn’t take it seriously at first, but it was very nerve-wracking when I went into the Spelling Bee.”

When asked if she was nervous, Felix replied, “I was nervous even though there was really not a crowd. It was just very  because there was a little bell and if it rang it means you got it wrong so it was very nerve racking and take it slow and get it right. I think it is very important because sometimes as a author or as a type writer or some job that includes typing maybe your not gonna have a google to search up a word sometimes you don’t know how to spell it right their and then. My advice for the others is that you just have to have a lot of courage and believe yourself and just have fun and be postive.