Filed under News

Veteran’s Day Assembly: Remember & Honor All Who Served

World War I: 100 Years

The assembly opened with Julianne Pizarro, Naveah Felix, Aniyah Porter singing “The National Anthem.” Mr. Joe Fives, of the US Navy, told how he really wanted to fly. “The movie, ‘An Officer and a Gentleman’ is real! I ended up flying F-14s. Learning is so important. Without an educational foundation, I wouldn’t have flown. I wouldn’t have seen the world.” He ended his talk with a quote: veterans write a blank check to the United States of America.

Mr. Link Schrader, US Marine, joined when he was 18 years old, after flunking out of college. His reasons to join: travel, discipline, new friends, housing, pay, benefits for college and home loans. Shortly after joining, 220 Marines were killed in the Beirut, Lebanon bombing.

Mr. Brockman’s older brother, Jeff, decided to join the military in middle school. He works in field artillery, “where you fire the big cannons” and was on Operation Freedom in Afghanistan, fighting in the mountains and supporting the army. “Being a member of the military is demanding, but you’re surprised by what you can accomplish in pressure situations that you never thought you could.”

Cheyenne Krulic’s cousin, Jacqueline, “joined the military out of spite. I had a KU scholarship, mom’s a police officer with KC, KS. When I was nine years old, I was involved in a drive-by shooting and my grandma was shot twice in a drive-by. Even though I’ve had to leave my daughter, that’s my sacrifice for you.” In 2015, Ms. Krulic left the military, went into law enforcement, and now follows in her mom’s footsteps as a police officer in KC, KS. “I’m still putting my life on the line for you. It’s an honor.”