Filed under News

8th Grade Team Wins 3rd in i-Build Competition

Michelle Resendez, Luis Aguilera, Kaysee Than, and Esli Franco recieved 3rd place for their E-Park design in the Kansas City middle school i-Build competition. They competed against middle schools across the Kansas City metro area.

Esli Franco and Kaysee Than, members of the winning 8th grade team said, “Making the project was a fun experience, but very stressful. We each stayed after school and worked down to the last minute to get everything done. We each had different roles in building the project. Kaysee and Luis Aguilera took care of statistics and making sure they were as accurate as possible. Esli and Michelle Resendez made all the maps and did the safety worksheets. When it came to decorating, everyone took a part. Some of us on the team had our doubts of our project even getting in the top three. We were very surprised when we heard our team called up. I’d say we did deserve our medals because we worked really hard to get third place!”

85 students participated in the i-Build events: laying a line of bricks, cutting glass, virtual reality of walking across an iron beam 80 feet in the air, using a drill to put up a window, trying on gas masks for hazardous material clean-up; operating the sewer and water line break robot, and several other events. Students filled up their punch cards and then took a survey to enter the prize drawing for a computer and other cool stuff.

Mrs. Reno, 8th grade science teacher, said, “Each grade level is given a problem to solve. Eighth grade was to build an environmentally friendly park or community center. I’m very proud of the team. They worked after school to complete their project in less than a month’s time.”